CAUSE OF VENERABLE MARY WARD
The Church proclaimed Mary Ward “Venerable” in 2006. She was recognised as a woman of “undoubted heroic virtue” four centuries after her Institute was suppressed and she was imprisoned. Mary Ward’s sisters who work in 45 countries worldwide rejoiced in the public recognition of this prophetic woman.
Now the Institute must complete the journey – to make Mary Ward a saint. This involves 2 major steps:
1. We must prove widespread devotion to Mary Ward. This means recording and preserving evidence of support in the many places in which IBVM or CJ Sisters, Collaborators, Associates or Friends live and minister. Through a network of contacts world-wide, the Office for the Cause of Venerable Mary Ward endeavours to discover, collate and share this information.
2. We must provide evidence of “extraordinary graces” received through the intercession of Mary Ward. This requires the investigation of possible “miracles” whether medical or other at 3 levels: by Sr. Liz Cotter IBVM as the canon lawyer responsible for promoting the Cause, in the place of the alleged “miracle” and in the Office for the Causes of Saints in the Holy See. We require one miracle to satisfy the “Beatification” process, i.e., the penultimate step and another to have Mary Ward declared a saint.
How can you help?
- Let the Office for the Cause know of any activity carried out in the name of Venerable Mary Ward
- Promote devotion to her by sharing information with others, e.g., distribute the Leaflet or the Relic/Prayer Cards prepared by the Office
- Let us know if you want prayers for someone who is ill (you can contact the Office directly or use the “prayer request” on the website)
- Let us know if you have received a “favour” sought through the intercession of Mary Ward
- Send us your suggestions
Sr. Elizabeth Cotter IBVM (Sr. Liz) and Sr. Estelle Mc Goldrick IBVM will be delighted to assist you.
If you prefer, contact any IBVM Loreto or CJ Sister
Websites: Most Loreto and CJ Provinces and Regions have their own websites. For further information: